Parliament examines what the Government is doing, makes new laws, holds the power to set taxes and debates the issues of the day. The House of Commons and House of Lords each play an important role in Parliament’s work.

For more about the work of parliament, please visit the parliament website.

To find out what is happening in parliament today, check the parliamentary calendar.


Role of an MP

Parliament is made up of 650 representatives elected constituencies covering the whole of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Jeremy Lefroy is the MP for Stafford constituency and was first elected in May 2010.

MPs are involved in considering and proposing new laws, and can use their position to ask government ministers questions about current issues.

MPs split their time between working in Parliament, working in the constituency and working for their Party.

Working in Parliament

When Parliament is sitting (meeting), MPs generally spend their time working in the House of Commons. This can include raising issues affecting their constituents, attending debates and voting on new laws. Most MPs are also members of committees, which look at issues in detail, from government policy and new laws.

Working in Stafford constituency

In their constituency, MPs often hold a ‘surgery’ where local people can come along to discuss any matters that concern them. You can see details of Jeremy's surgeries on these pages.  MPs also attend functions, visit schools and businesses and get involved with local issues in the community. This helps MPs when raising matters in Westminster and helps them understand the views of their constituents.

Some MPs also have a role as a minister in government or spokesperson (shadow minister) in opposition.

How Jeremy Can Help You

MPs can help their constituents by offering advice with certain problems, making representations on their behalf to Government, raising their concerns in Parliament and promoting the local area in many different ways.

Jeremy assists his constituents with a wide range of problems but he is more likely to be able to help with problems concerning central government such as benefits, pensions, national insurance, tax and the matters of national policy.

Residents are also represented by local councillors, who are better placed to help with issues relating to the local council. You can contact your local councillor from the councillor’s page on this site.

There is a strict parliamentary protocol that means MPs can only take up matters on behalf of their constituents. To check you are Jeremy’s constituent please click here.

Please remember to include your full postal address on any correspondence you may send to your MP.